The library was founded before the lifetime of Anna Amalia in 1691 as "Ducal Library" by Duke Wilhelm Ernst.
It was only on the occasion of her 300th anniversary in 1991 that she received the name of Duchess Anna Amalia, as she was considered a great sponsor of the library.
December 5, 2016
The Duchess Anna Amalia Library is a publicly accessible research library for literary and cultural history with a focus on the German literature of the period around 1800. It preserves literary evidence from the 9th to the 21st century as sources of cultural history and research, opens up them formal and content-related aspects and makes them available for lending and use. In total, 1 million units belong to the library stock.
The historic library building with the famous rococo hall, which was damaged by the fire in 2004, is reopened and can be visited every day (except Mondays) by a maximum of 290 people.
December 9, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!