In early 1901, the architect Heinrich Sexauer announced his interest in the purchase of land at Haydnplatz and presented in the same year nor the first draft for the buildings and the square with a fountain. His proposal was accepted and he bought the first property on the eastern side. For the other properties, he received the right of first refusal.Based on the well-known from England Crescent (one of the most famous, the Royal Crescent, can be found today in the city of Bath), the site development was planned in the semicircle. The square was finally built between 1903 and 1913 with three buildings. The tenants of the newly built apartments were lawyers, directors, manufacturers, bankers, architects and artists, all of whom belonged to the bourgeoisie.However, the planning and construction of the square became a permanent dispute between the architect and the head of the Municipal Garden Directorate, who rejected the design of Sexauer and presented their own designs and executed in 1908.The architect disagreed with the design of the square and submitted further drafts, which were then approved by the city council in October 1912. The work began in 1913, but the outbreak of the First World War prevented the completion of the square. For example, the property on Mozartstrasse remained unused for about 40 years, which also prevented the construction of the second archway with a bridge house (as on the right on Weberstraße) and the middle archway is still missing today.The well plant was completed and put into operation in October 1916. The planned large, bronze-cast, fountain figures were no longer produced. For this purpose, in 1973 the cast plastic sculptures "Eurydice" and "Orpheus" by Emil Sutor were placed on the lateral pedestals. Due to their size and design they do not reach the originally planned monumental effect.(Https://ka.stadtwiki.net)
November 27, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!