Bike Touring Highlight
The mill Aurora, also called Borsteler mill, is a windmill in Borstel, a district of Jork in the Old Country. It is a Galerieholländer, which was built in 1856 by the miller Adolf Friedrich Peters.
The mill "Aurora" in York was named in honor of Aurora, Countess of Königsmarck (born April 28, 1662 in Stade, † February 16, 1728 in Quedlinburg). Marie Aurora was the daughter of Count Conrad Christopher von Königsmarck and his wife Maria Christina von Wrangel (1637-1691); whose half-brother was the Swedish Reich Marshal Carl Gustav Wrangel, Count of Salmis. She was the granddaughter of the first Swedish Governor-General in Stade. She was for Voltaire next to Catherine II "the most famous woman of two centuries". She came from the old-march noble family Königsmarck and was the beloved of August the Strong and then Pröpstin the pin Quedlinburg.
The French poet André Maurois has set Aurora a literary memorial in his book about George Sand (German under the title "Dark yearning - the life of George Sand" - published in 1953 in Munich).
The mill technology in the mill is still available, but does not work anymore. Today, a restaurant is located on three levels.
This mill is worth a break. In sunshine and blue skies that is a highlight. A break on a bench next to the mill! Or a visit to the restaurant? Also, the surrounding area is worth seeing: on the way to the center to> Jork one passes the St. Nicolai <Church in Jork-Borstel. Stop and watch! And then on to Jork town center. Here you need ewtas time. There is a lot of beautiful framework to admire
This site is occupied by post windmills until the 17th century. The Gallery Dutchman "Aurora" was built in 1856 instead of a vanished Bockmühle. The former grain mill has a four-storey 10-meter-high square brick base and has sail wings and codends. From the gallery, it has an octagonal superstructure with nine levels. The windmill is altogether 24 m high. In 1911, a motor system was installed, the decommissioning was in 1961. In 1984, the Borsteler mill "Aurora" was restored with funds from the district of Stade after acquisition and is since then available for visits. Taking into account the existing structures, the careful conversion to a restaurant took place in 1993, whereby the mill typical character was preserved. You can eat and drink today on three levels: in the former warehouse, in the main mill room and in the former flour-bagging room. The mill technique such as a millstone is still present, but no longer functional. - The name "Aurora" was awarded in honor of Aurora von Königsmarck, the granddaughter of the first Swedish Governor-General in Stade. The windmill, including the gallery with exposed millstone and lots of history information, can be viewed as a museum every day except Tuesdays from 12:00 to 17:00.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!