Eicks Castle (13th century) is a two-part complex surrounded by water in the idyllic Bruchbach Valley. The three-part outer bailey is flanked by two towers.
The castle is a prime example of the building and living culture of the rural nobility in the Rhineland.
July 11, 2020
Eick's reign was first mentioned in 1344. In place of today's castle there was a castle-like fron yard in the Middle Ages. At that time Johann von Eicks was master of part of Eicks with its own jurisdiction. In 1365 the moated castle was partially destroyed.
After the Eicks dynasty died out, the castle frequently changed hands through inheritance and sale.
The castle has been owned by the Sybergs for over 500 years. It is still inhabited by descendants of the family today. Source: Wikipedia
October 11, 2020
The Eifel loop Via Agrippa leads ideally past the castle, so that the impressive system can be viewed from different perspectives. Behind the small bridge with the holy Nepumuk there is a nice break bench. Unfortunately the Café Zehnthof has been closed since May 2020.
July 19, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!