Hiking Highlight (Segment)
The Wachwitzgrund is one of the romantic right side valleys of the Elbe and is formed by the Gönnsdorfer Bach, which flows into the Elbe near the Wachwitz village center.
In the lower part of the grounds are still numerous small half-timbered houses that are reminiscent of the past of the place. Here lived mostly poor cottagers, winemakers and day laborers of the manor. Severe damage caused a cloudburst on May 12, 1844, which caused the small brook to swell up and make it into raging waters. Numerous buildings were destroyed or severely damaged.
Among the older buildings include the half-timbered houses Wachwitzgrund No. 2, 4, 6, 12, 14, 16 and 18. Towards the end of the 19th century, one set up in many houses small shops and businesses, as the residents after cessation of viticulture on others Had to change employment opportunities.
The yellow house (picture 1 and 2) has the name Talhäuschen. From 1921 to the end of his life, the painter and graphic artist Hans Juchser lived and worked there in 1977. He is one of the most important representatives of the Dresden painting of the 20th century (plaque on the house).
Picture 3 shows the Umgebindehaus Wachwitzgrund 13 from 1623. On the upper floor and in the gable you can see the typical Andrea crosses. In front of the house a small covered oven remained.
Demolished in 1969, the smallest house in the village, called by the inhabitants also "Villa bend over", it had become too dilapidated. (Wwww.dresdner-stadtteile.de)
June 8, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!