Bike Touring Highlight
The barrage Schlüsselburg is a dam on the Mittelweser with associated hydroelectric power plant and is located in the area of the East Westphalian city of Petershagen in the district Minden-Lübbecke in North Rhine-Westphalia.
The barrage at keyhole waterside 236.6 was built in the 1950s as one of several barrages of the Middle Weser to keep the water level as constant as possible and make the waterway passable for large ships. The weir was built in 1956 and consists of two 40-meter-wide fields. The stowage height is 4.50 m. The weir is operated by the Water and Shipping Authority Verden.
At the same time, a run-of-river power plant was built, which has been in operation since 1956. The power plant with its three Kaplan turbines has a capacity of 5.0 MW and supplies an average of 28 GWh of electricity per year. The power plant in Schlüsselburg is monitored by a central control room, which is located in the pumped storage plant Erzhausen.
The barrage Schlüsselburg is located in a loop of the Weser. The weir plant has the task to anchor the Weser water for shipping to a depth of 2.80 meters. In the weir is a hydroelectric power station. From Müsleringen to key castle shortened approximately 3.5 kilometers parallel and west to the Weser running lock canal the "water way Weser". By lowering and raising the water level in the lock in Schlüsselburg, the height difference of the dammed up water in front of the weir is overcome. The lock canal flows between Schlüsselburg and Stolzenau back into the Weser. The often monotonous view of the canal turns out to be more varied underwater than it seems. The same species of fish can be found in the lock canal as in the Weser. There are caught the following fish:
Eel, Aland, brown trout, perch, bream, chub, gudgeon, blackbird, hazel, pike, carp, ruff, asp, rainbow trout, roach, rudd, tench, catfish, zander and zander.
May 15, 2016
The barrage Schlüsselburg at water km 236.6 is a dam with associated hydroelectric power plant. It was built in the 1950s. The weir was built in 1956 and consists of two fields each 40 meters wide. At the same time, a run-of-river power plant was built, which has been in operation since 1956.
Originally, the hydroelectric power plant was operated by the company PreußenElektra, which later became part of the EON Group. As a result of a share exchange with the Norwegian energy group Statkraft, this company has been the owner and operator of the power plant since 1 January 2009.
June 7, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.