The Von der Heydt tower is a lookout tower at an altitude of 274 m. NN in front of the Königshöhe on the Kiesberg, which rises south of the Wupper in the Wuppertal district of Elberfeld-West.
The tower was built in 1892 from donations (10,000 marks) of the Elberfelder banker August Freiherr von der Heydt and named after the founder. It was built in the style of the German Renaissance after the design of the Elberfeld city construction inspector Schaumann. He is 20 m high. Volunteer towers today allow groups to tour the tower.
A bronze plaque commemorating the founding family was stolen during World War II. In 2013, a stele was erected with information board with the history of the building.
- Wikipedia (de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von-der-Heydt-Turm)
December 2, 2016
On September 24, 1892, the Von der Heydt tower was inaugurated on the Kiesberg. There were representatives of the von der Heydt family, city councilors of the city of Elberfeld, members of the Elberfeld Beautification Association, numerous citizens and Lord Mayor Jaeger, who took care of the tower in the city. The city of Elberfeld contributed 10,000 marks to the costs from a Karl von der Heydts foundation and the Elberfeld Beautification Association 5,000 marks.The tower was designed by Stadtbauinspektor Schaumann in "medieval castle style." It has a two-flight external staircase, bay window and an arbor supported on four corbels. Once you could see unhindered from the platform at a height of 20 meters over the Wuppertal to Hagen, today the trees of the Burgholz have overtaken the tower in size.Source: denkmal-wuppertal.de/2012/10/von-der-heydt-turm.html
June 8, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!