Schöner Brunnen

Bike Touring Highlight

Recommended by 240 out of 266 cyclists

Tips

  • 〽️Markus

    The Beautiful Fountain was built in 1385-1396 by Heinrich Beheim. The forty colored figures of the fountain represent the worldview of the Holy Roman Empire on four floors. From below, these are: Philosophy and the Seven Free Arts, the Four Evangelists and the Four Fathers, the Seven Electors and the Nine Good Heroes, Moses and seven prophets. The gargoyles symbolize the seven vices and the lucky charm Adebar.

    Known are the rotatable rings in two of the eight grids (forged in 1587 by Augsburg Paul Kühn), which fence the fountain. When the original was made of brass, is not known. However, it has been replaced several times over time and today's southwestern side dates back to 1957. The second, iron, on the northeastern side, was added in 1902 and has not changed since then. One of the rings is considered a lucky charm, according to a legend is considered child blessing, who turns it. Most of the brass ring is considered to be the lucky charm, but many Nuremberg believe the iron ring is the "real ring" and thus the lucky charm.

    According to a legend, the fountain should grace the tower of the Frauenkirche (also on the main market) as a top, but this was allegedly rejected due to lack of lifting facilities. However, the Frauenkirche was already consecrated in 1358.

    translated byView Original
    • May 9, 2017

  • Topsi

    The beautiful fountain is one of the attractions of the city of Nuremberg to the historic mile of Nuremberg. It is located on the edge of the main market, right next to the Nuremberg Town Hall. It is about 19 meters high and has the shape of a Gothic spire.

    translated byView Original
    • June 4, 2017

  • Susanne

    Was veiled in 2016 for over a year, as urgent renovations. On 26.04.17 but reopening and the water is eating again!

    translated byView Original
    • May 21, 2017

  • 〽️Markus

    The Beautiful Fountain was built in 1385-1396 by Heinrich Beheim.
    The forty colored figures of the fountain represent the worldview of the Holy Roman Empire on four floors. From below, these are: Philosophy and the Seven Free Arts, the Four Evangelists and the Four Fathers, the Seven Electors and the Nine Good Heroes, Moses and seven prophets. The gargoyles symbolize the seven vices and the lucky charm Adebar.
    Known are the rotatable rings in two of the eight grids (forged in 1587 by Augsburg Paulus Kühn), which surround the fountain. When the original brass was installed, is not known. However, it was replaced several times over time, and today's southwestern side dates back to 1957. The second, iron, on the northeastern side was added in 1902 and has not changed since then. One of the rings is considered a lucky charm, according to a legend is considered child blessing, who turns it. Most of the brass ring is considered to be the lucky charm, but many Nuremberg believe the iron ring is the "real ring" and thus the lucky charm.
    According to a legend, the fountain should grace the top of the tower of the Frauenkirche (also on the main market), but this was allegedly rejected for lack of lifting possibility. However, the Frauenkirche was consecrated in 1358.

    translated byView Original
    • July 15, 2018

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Top Touring Cycling Routes to Schöner Brunnen

Location: Middle Franconia, Bavaria, Germany

Information

  • Elevation300 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Middle Franconia