Unfortunately, this ruin can not be visited until further notice, as damage to the building fabric has been detected and it has now been blocked for reasons of traffic safety. This information comes from the homepage of the "Association of Palatine Climbers e.V.", PK for short: pfaelzer-kletterer.de/content/_inhalt/news/new14.htm#apr2015_1
May 10, 2015
Burg Scharfenberg is also often called mint because the town of Annweiler obtained the right to mint coins in 1219 and set up a mint on Scharfenberg. It was founded in the 11th century as an imperial castle. The most important member of this family was Bishop Konrad von Scharfenberg of Speyer. After the Scharfenberg family died out, the castle came to Speyer, Weißenburg, Kurpfalz and Zweibrücken. The Peasants' War was the end for Scharfenberg too; it was conquered and destroyed by the peasants. The entire complex consisted of a bailey and a main castle. Remains of the ring wall and a tower are still visible on the north-east corner of the outer bailey. The keep of the upper castle with a height of 20 meters is well preserved. Halfway up on its west side is a round-arched entrance opening.
The castle is surrounded by a construction fence (with barbed wire!!!) and scaffolded. A visit is therefore expected to be possible again in autumn 2023 (signs at the entrance indicate that access will be blocked until mid-2023)...
August 21, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!