In 1895, the Bielefelder machine manufacturer Heinrich Fricke donated this lookout tower, which was then christened "Bismarck tower" and today just called "Iron Anton". Located directly on the "Hermannsweg" long-distance hiking trail on the 309 meter high Ebberg, the 8-meter-high viewing platform offers a sweeping view of parts of the Teutoburg Forest.
Background information on the formation of the tower:
August 22, 2016
Actually christened the Bismarck Tower, this lookout tower to the east of Bielefeld is also known as "Eiserner Anton". Built in 1895 and restored to its original state in 2003, the Iron Anton is one of the few metallic Bismarck towers. The location is on the 309 m high Ebberg on Hermannsweg. 42 steps lead to the 8 m high viewing platform, which allows a view to the north and south over the Teutoburg Forest. The coat of arms of the county of Ravensberg and the year "1895" are attached to the tower. The view of the city of Bielefeld is largely blocked by today's trees on the Ebberg.
December 26, 2019
The Iron Anton (formerly Bismarck tower) is a 9.5 m high observation tower in the southeast of the city of Bielefeld in the district Stieghorst. Located on the 309 m high Ebberg am Hermannsweg, on a square floor plan standing tower is one of the few steel Bismarcktürme. Forty-two steps lead up to the 8-meter-high viewing platform, which provides a view over parts of the Teutoburg Forest (the view to the north and to the south is possible).
June 12, 2017
The Bismarck Tower, today mostly called Iron Anton, is a 9.5 m high observation tower in the southeast of the city of Bielefeld in the Stieghorst district.
The tower was built in 1895 as a foundation by the Bielefeld machine manufacturer Heinrich C. Fricke and named "Bismarck Tower" at his request.
The on the 309.1 m above sea level. NHN  high Ebberg on Hermannsweg, standing on a square ground plan tower is one of the few steel Bismarck towers. Forty-two steps lead to the 8 m high viewing platform, which allows a view over parts of the Teutoburg Forest. The listed building was last renovated in 2003, whereby the base and the paintwork were renewed.
When the tower was built at the end of the 19th century, the Ebberg still had a bare top. Today the view of large parts of Bielefeld is blocked by trees, only the view to the north and south is possible.
September 22, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.