One of the most beautiful fountains of Arnstadt is the Hop Fountain below the Bach Church on the former Hopfenmarkt. It is one of the landmarks of the city. The predecessor of the richly decorated fountain in the Renaissance style was first mentioned in 1520 by name. However, the fountain did not receive its present appearance until 1537. It was built with the collaboration of the master builder and stonemason Christoph Junghans. The octagonal fountain trough still recognizes four engraved monograms, two of which point to the acting mayors Asmus Kilian and Conrad Liebe. In the middle of the fountain stands a life-size armored knight with a lance and blazon. The man's shield shows the old Schwarzburg coat of arms from before 1597. According to the vernacular, this figure shows the count Günther the dispute, others call him simply as a "savage man". Source: geo.viaregia.org/testbed/index.pl?rm=obj&objid=882&col
April 20, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!