"The town hall complex consists of 3 different old buildings: the so-called" Old Town Hall "on the north side of the market square, the" Wilhelminische Bau "and the" Grupello House "on the west side.
The Wilhelminische Bau was built around 1875 on the site of the old city theater and was rebuilt after the war.
The "Grupello House" was once the residence of the creator of the Jan Wellem equestrian statue. "Source: duesseldorf-tourismus.de/sehenswuerdigkeiten/rathaus
The history of construction and use of the City Hall of the City of Dusseldorf dates back to the years 1570/73 in the oldest parts of the building. Since then, the city center, located in the middle of the old town and in the immediate vicinity of the Rhine, has been the seat of the city council and the municipal administration. Until 1806, the oldest parts of the building, the old town hall, also served as a meeting place for the estates of the Duchies of Jülich-Berg.  The main entrance and the representative view are on the market square enclosed by the town hall.
The old town is the historical, political and cultural center of the state capital. In the district are u.a. the Town Hall, the Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen and the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf. Large parts of the old town are pedestrian streets with numerous shops and restaurants. Over half a square kilometer, over 300 pubs, discotheques and restaurants gather here, which have the Old Town the reputation of the "longest bar in the world" sung in the "Altbierlied". The Rheinuferpromenade is the frontline of the old town to the Rhine. To the northeast, the old town is bordered by the courtyard garden, to the south it goes into the Carlstadt, to the east in the district Stadtmitte.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!