The opera house was built between 1798 and 1801 by the architect Gian Antonio Selva, who had already designed the Venetian Teatro La Fenice, and Matteo Pertsch. Pertsch was strongly influenced by his master Giuseppe Piermarini, who had been the master builder of La Scala Milan, in designing the neo-classical façade of the building. For the opening of the house on April 21, 1801, the opera Ginevra di Scozia of the Bavarian composer Johann Simon Mayr was performed. From this point on, the theater replaced the former Municipal Theater Teatro S. Pietro in the building of the former town hall. Another premiere was the opening performance of the opera Annibale in Capua by the Viennese court Kapellmeister Antonio Salieri, u. a. with the celebrated throughout Europe singers Luigi Marchesi and Giacomo David in the lead roles. In 1848, the world premiere of Verdi's opera Il corsaro took place in the opera house, two years later the premiere of his work Stiffelio.
As part of elaborate renovation work in 1889, the conversion of oil lamps to electric lighting. Furthermore, the auditorium has been extended from originally 1,400 seats to 2,000 seats. However, the auditorium was reduced in the renovation of the house between 1992 and 1997 back to the original number of seats.
The former ballroom now serves smaller theatrical performances.
July 30, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!