The medieval WartturmPictures is the landmark of Niederzimmern. It can be found about 0.5 km northeast of the village on the "Wartenberg". The tower belongs to a former defense ring of 16 towers around the city of Erfurt. They stand, or stood, mostly lonely on hills and look quite lost in the landscape. In the Middle Ages, the watch towers played a central role in the protection against attackers. They were all within sight of each other and were staffed with guards who probably also live directly at the waiting. If an enemy approached from one direction, a fire was made from prepared brushwood on the respective tower. This showed the surrounding villages the direction from which the danger came, and gave them enough time to organize the defense and bring help. For example, the city of Erfurt had about an hour to prepare for an imminent attack. Source: heimatverein-niederzimmern.de
December 18, 2018
In the war times of the 13th and 14th centuries, the Erfurt area, then 72 villages, was delimited with guard towers to protect against attackers.
The construction material and the joint connection of the watchtower indicate a year of construction around 1400.
The well-preserved observation point stands east on the Wartenberg and its entrance points to the Hopfgärtener observation point.
Hopfgarten is not visible from any side from Niederzimmer.
Connection was only possible by waiting.
The entrance gate is square and 3.5 m above the ground.
The tower height is 7.40 m.
The lower floor is filled with stones, the upper one is separated from the entrance floor by stone slabs.
A second tower stood on the Wartenhügel on Udestedter Höhe, the remains of which were sold in 1792.(Source: geo.viaregia.org)
October 25, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!