Strausplatz is located above the Mundhardter Hof. The course, named after Abraham Straus, a former engineer from Bad Dürkheim, was built in 1890 by the Drachenfels Club.
Today this square is often called Mundhardter Platz. Its benches invite you to enjoy the beautiful view.
March 7, 2021
"This square was named after the Jewish fellow citizen Abraham Straus (1830 - 1889). By profession he was a plant and sewer engineer in the Royal Bavarian Service in Neustadt. After his death, his considerable fortune flowed into the Abraham Straus Foundation, which he established, which aimed to support 'old, sick, worthy and needy people'.
In memory of him, the Dürkheimer Verschönerungsverein Drachenfels-Club created this square in 1890, which was later renamed Mundhaardter Platz during the Nazi era. "Today this square is again called Straus-Platz.
Source: partially quoted verbatim from the information board of the "Drachenfels-Club" from 2006. (The corresponding text on the website of the Drachenfels-Club is out of date and does NOT match the text on the information board in important passages.)
5 days ago
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!