The three-aisled Protestant St. Mary's Church is located at the highest point of the city next to the market square. The origins of the building are still Romanesque. In essence, it is an elongated rectangular stone building still from the 13th century, which has been changed many times, so that the Gothic components predominate.
After the city fire of 1709, the building was altered in the Baroque style. The parish church received a new four-storey west tower, which was structured with pilasters. A special feature is the tower dome: From the square plan of the tower forms an eight-sided lantern, from which one has a good view over the city and the Elbtalaue.
There are neo-Gothic and Romanizing additions from 1860 to 1865 on the north and south sides. The entire choir area and the apse with its two hexagonal side towers were supplemented until 1865 in neo-Gothic styles. Today, the former chancel and sanctuary houses a glass installation dating back to the 1980s and used as a community center and winter church in place of the unheated main house.
January 11, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.