The historic mill of Sanssouci is the reconstruction of a Dutch windmill of the type gallery Dutch built between 1787 and 1791 under Friedrich Wilhelm II. It stands a few meters west of Potsdam's Sanssouci Palace.
Source and more about the legend of the Sanssouci mill:
December 19, 2016
For two reasons, it is worth climbing the small hill to the historic mill of Sanssouci. On the one hand, you go on a journey through time in the history of the Müller-Handwerk, and on the other you have a wonderful view of Sanssouci Palace and the surrounding area from the gallery. The mill was put into operation in 1791 and destroyed in 1945. After true-to-original reconstruction turn their wings since the 1000-Jahrfeier Potsdam 1993 again.
April 26, 2019
The Historic Mill of Sanssouci is the reconstruction of a 1787 to 1791 built under Frederick William II Dutch windmill type gallery Holländer. At the end of the Second World War, the wooden mill construction burned down during combat operations. After repair work on the stone pedestal in the 1980s, it was rebuilt between 1991 and 1993.
September 30, 2018
The historic mill of Sanssouci is the reconstruction of a Dutch windmill of the type gallery Dutch built between 1787 and 1791 under Friedrich Wilhelm II. It stands a few meters west of Potsdam's Sanssouci Palace and has become known for its predecessor, around which the legend Der Müller von Sanssouci is based; the addition “historical” refers to this. Because of this narrative, she is mainly associated with the Prussian King Friedrich II.
At the end of the Second World War, the wooden mill structure burned down during fighting. After repair work on the stone base in the 1980s, it was rebuilt between 1991 and 1993. The mill building, which is managed by the Prussian Palaces and Gardens Berlin-Brandenburg Foundation (SPSG) and is a listed building, has been operated as a museum by the Mühlenvereinigung Berlin-Brandenburg e.V. since 1995.
May 6, 2019
Just across the street from Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam stands a Dutch windmill, where wind power is still used today to grind grain.
Since 1738 there is a windmill on the hill. First, it was a windmill, which was replaced in 1787-91 with the support of Frederick William II by a larger gallery Dutch mill. To her came meal guests from neighboring Bornstedt. It is not known whether the bread of the royal table was also ground for the bread, but the saying of Frederick II was "the mill is an ornament to the castle."
Known across all borders, she became known by a legend, according to which Frederick II disturbed the clatter of the mill and he called on the miller to rebuild the mill elsewhere. The miller Grävenitz threatened, however, with a lawsuit in the Berlin Supreme Court and Friedrich complied.
Until 1858, the wings turned and already in 1861, the Dutch windmill was declared a monument. In the last days of the war in 1945, the mill burned down. Reconstruction was completed in 1993, and since 2003 grain has been processed into meal and flour.
In addition to the mill technology on the upper floors, there are exhibitions in the mill tower about the history of the historic mill and other quirky topics. The gallery offers a view into the park of Sanssouci, the store many products around the mill.
The historic mill also includes the office of the Mill Association Berlin-Brandenburg e.V. with a specialized library and an archive area.
May 6, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!