The Nauener Tor is located in the immediate vicinity of the Dutch Quarter. The gate is one of the earliest structures built on the model of English Gothic Revival on the European continent.
In addition to the Jägertor and the Brandenburg Gate, the Nauener Tor on the arterial road to Nauen is one of the three preserved city gates of Potsdam. It was built in 1755 after a sketch of Frederick the Great by the architect Johann Gottfried Büring. Above all, the goal was to enhance the visual axis from the city center to Nauener Straße through its long-distance effect. The king consciously chose a Gothic, medieval-looking architecture to give the city gate the appearance of a higher age value. This makes the Nauener Tor an extraordinary rarity in the history of European construction, as it is the oldest example of neo-Gothic architecture in mainland Europe alongside the first Neo-Gothic buildings in England.
The baroque city gate initially remained between the two plastered round towers with a crenellated wreath and conical peaks made of natural stone. The side extensions on both sides of the towers with arcuate arcade openings reinforced with their grotesque heads the medieval impression. In connection with the demolition of the city wall in the 19th century, the baroque Nauener Tor was then also eliminated in 1867. It was blocked by a gate with a larger arched
shaped opening to match the Neo-Gothic architecture.
In 1996/97, the gate and the forecourt were extensively renovated, the gate was restored to its historic appearance. Also during the reconstruction in the middle of the 19th century, the connection between the individual towers was carried out in the neo-gothic style. The two wings of the Nauener Gate now offer two restaurants.
May 6, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!