The gardens donated by the British Royal Family of the Yorkshire Philosophical Society in 1828 are located on part of the former site of St. Mary's Abbey. The company acquired the land to build a museum for their collections. The Yorkshire Museum was completed in 1830. The land was given to the Yorkshire Philosophical Society on the condition that botanical gardens are created on the site. These were designed in the 1830s by the landscape architect Sir John Murray Naysmith garden style. They originally contained a conservatory, a pond and a menagerie, which were destroyed when a bear escaped from it and briefly had control of the area. The then Princess Victoria visited the gardens in 1835, the year they first opened to the public. In 1854, the gardens were described as "one of York's main attractions". At this time, entry for members and non-members will cost a shilling, except on Saturdays when it costs six pence.
In 1960, the gardens and the Yorkshire Museum were entrusted to the City of York Council and they became a public park. Since 2002, they have been managed by the York Museum Trust along with the York Castle Museum and the York Art Gallery. The gardens are maintained by the Askham Bryan College of Agriculture
August 19, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!