The narrow path from the Swiss house (uncultivated) on the rock outcrop of Teufelsrutsches (beautiful panorama) to 60 m long Schinderhanneshöhle (former mercury mine from the 14th century) should be committed only by firm, vertigo-free persons with good footwear, because the path is yet very adventurous.
October 3, 2019
The Teufelsrutsch is a wooded hilltop made of porphyry rocks near Wendelsheim in Rheinhessen, which was formed in prehistoric times by Wiesbach. The about 260 m above sea level. NN located plateau ends in a westerly direction with a 50 m deep slope. The name of the survey goes back to a legend, according to which the devil was made by a cunning of the residents to slip down this steep, thorny slope on the bare butt. After that, he was never seen there again.
About 20 meters below the summit is the so-called "Schinderhannes Cave" - a walkable, more than 60 -meter-long gallery, whose initial design refers to the 14th century. There mercury was recovered, which occurs in the form of vermilion. The tunnel was named after the notorious robber captain Schinderhannes, who was said to have served as a shelter. That is controversial.
October 4, 2019
Since the 19th century the Teufelsrutschfelsen is a popular tourist destination because of its beautiful nature and scenic views. In 1885, the so-called "Swiss House" was built on the summit to supply the tourists.
The Teufelsrutsch is an internationally known site for amethyst and other minerals.
October 4, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!