Town and castle Kaster emerged from a moated castle of the Lords of Kaster, which was first mentioned in 1148 and died out in the 13th century. Count Wilhelm IV of Jülich inherited the castle at the Erft crossing in 1273 from Emperor Rudolph zu Lehen, and his descendants established their own rule here after the castle, which was destroyed by the Archbishop of Cologne in 1279, was rebuilt. In 1339 there was already a town Kaster, in 1383 the office, which finally included 52 localities. The castle became the widow's seat of Jülich until its destruction in 1511.
The castle, situated on an artificial, water-covered hill north of the city, was only partially rebuilt and destroyed again in the town fire in 1624. In the Thirty Years' War, Hessian troops attacked the remains; since then the castle has finally fallen into ruin. Today, only a few remnants of the wall can be seen, which hardly give an impression of the residential palace of the Jülich dukes. There is more from the outer bailey, the "waiter's shop", which is integrated into the north ceiling of the city fortifications, and from the city wall with its two gates. The outer bailey, surrounded by its own wall, was connected to the main castle by gates and walls and has farm buildings with a medieval core. The bailiff's detached house dates from the 18th century. Despite the destruction, a surprising amount has survived from the city walls; Mostly it belongs to the 14th century, as did the city gates, which were overhauled in the 16th and 17th centuries.
March 28, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.