The Celso Gilberti refuge is an alpine refuge in the Julian Alps, in the municipality of Chiusaforte. It rises at 1,850 m a.s.l., on the edge of the Prevala basin, on the north side of the Canin Group, between Mount Forato and Mount Bila Pec. It was built to replace the old Canin shelter, built by SAF in 1886. It was inaugurated on 21 October 1934 and dedicated to the Udine mountaineer Celso Gilberti, who fell very young on the Paganella. In 1944, due to events connected with the world conflict, it was set on fire by German soldiers who considered it a support base for the partisan troops. It was rebuilt and inaugurated on October 29, 1950, thanks to the contribution of the SAF, the Gilberti family and other donations.
Open from 15 June to 30 September and from 20 December to 30 April, it is owned by the Friulian Alpine Society - Udine Section of the Italian Alpine Club
September 22, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!