It is considered the highest sacral building in Perchtoldsdorf and is a listed building. The chapel, which is dedicated to the Assumption of St. Mary, has an egg-shaped outline and is approx. 3 meters wide, 3.5 meters deep and 4 meters high. It is crowned by a small turret, the boulders and the Portland cement masonry are striking. Since 1947 there has been a statue of Our Lady of Fatima in the chapel. A plaque attached to the chapel tells about the history of this pilgrimage site, according to which there was a lookout point with seating in the 19th century at the place where the chapel stands today. Images of saints were attached to the trees, which is why the site was called "forest worship". In 1903 an image of a saint attached to a tree fell for no apparent reason when two masons, Georg Fässl and Franz Setzer, were resting here. Both men were so impressed by it that they vowed to build a stone chapel for this picture. The structure they built was built in the style of a "Lourdes grotto". The chapel was consecrated on September 8, 1909 by Anton Huber, then pastor of Perchtoldsdorf.
January 17, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!