Hiking Highlight (Segment)
When Elector Archbishop Johann Schweikhard von Kronberg, the builder of the new Johannisburg Castle, called the Capuchins to Aschaffenburg almost 400 years ago to "give new impulses to religious and moral life", he gave them the "Auf dem Schutz" site at the palace gardens . There the foundation stone for a monastery was laid in 1626 and a year later a church was built. After the Battle of Hanau, Napoleon on 30./31. October 1813 defeated an Austro-Bavarian army at Hanau (Wars of Liberation 1813-1815), the monastery was military hospital. By careless nurses, who handled with open light, broke in the night of 7./8. November 1813, a fire and destroyed the monastery and church. The wounded could all be saved, the library with over 4000 volumes became a robbery of flames. By tearing down the neighboring houses could spread the fire (city fire) can be prevented. In 1814, the monastery and the church were rebuilt, but the consecration could not take place until 1847, and it was hospital again in the war of 1866.
According to the plans of architect Privy Councilor Friedrich Ritter von Thiersch, a new church was built in 1908/09.
January 1, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!