Location: Berlin, Germany
"On the impressive façade of the main building of the Humboldt University, it becomes apparent that the construction on Unter den Linden Boulevard should actually become another royal palace.
As the third building of the Forum Fridericianum, the palace of Prince Henry, Frederick II's brother, was built in 1748-66. The original conception of the palace was a new royal palace, but Frederick had already lost his interest in Berlin and kept himself as often as possible in Potsdam, especially in his newly built pleasure palace Sanssouci.
The design may have come from the now disgraced Knobelsdorff, the construction was led by Johann Boumann and Carl Ludwig Hildebrandt. Seven years after the death of the prince, the building was assigned to the newly founded Friedrich Wilhelm University, which began teaching in 1810 (after Humboldt it was named after the Second World War). The once rich facilities reduced over time to the ballroom, which eventually fell victim to the war.
The original palace was a three-wing complex grouped around the Ehrenhof to the Linden. Along the lime tree avenue seven-axle forehead structures were located in front of. In 1913-20, Ludwig Hoffmann broadened the originally narrow side wings to the width of these fortifications and extended them far to the north, creating an elongated second courtyard. The complex is accented by the central risalit and the risalits of the frontal buildings, which are covered with statues. The Corinthian order of the middle risalit refers to the opera house. The flat roof is almost hidden by a surrounding parapet. The massive impression is reinforced by the ashlar of the three storeys, the middle of which is emphasized by the high arched windows. Noteworthy are the overhung Torpfeiler with children groups. "Source: berlin.de/sehenswuerdigkeiten/3561617-3558930-humboldt-universitaet.html
February 20, 2018
Humboldt University, Berlin
The Humboldt University of Berlin (HU Berlin for short) is a state research university in the central Berlin district of Mitte. It was founded in 1809 by Friedrich Wilhelm III. founded as the University of Berlin on the initiative of Wilhelm von Humboldt, Johann Gottlieb Fichte and Friedrich Ernst Daniel Schleiermacher and opened in 1810, making it the oldest of the four Berlin universities. From 1828 until it was closed in 1945 it was called Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität. During the Cold War, the university was located in East Berlin and was de facto split in two when Freie Universität Berlin opened in West Berlin. The university received its current name in 1949 in honor of Alexander and Wilhelm von Humboldt.
August 26, 2022
The Humboldt University of Berlin (HU Berlin), before 1949 Friedrich Wilhelm University, was founded in 1809 as the University of Berlin and was the oldest of the four Berlin universities in the fall of 1810 on the teaching operation. It is today the second largest university in Berlin and has its headquarters in the palace of Prince Heinrich on the street Unter den Linden in Berlin-Mitte.
February 25, 2019
The Humboldt University in Berlin was founded in the summer of 1809 by the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm III. founded as a university in Berlin and started teaching in autumn 1810. It received its name in 1949 after its initiator Wilhelm von Humboldt and the world traveler Alexander von Humboldt. It is one of the 20 largest universities in Germany and the most renowned universities worldwide. [
July 6, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Location: Berlin, Germany