The history of the Ewald colliery began in 1871. 21 trades, including the Essen entrepreneur and namesake Ewald Hilger, founded the mine in the south of Herten. After arduous beginnings, the colliery developed into the most productive colliery in the Ruhr area, especially after the Second World War, with over 4,000 miners at times. On April 28, 2000, coal production was stopped. A distinctive colliery architecture from three different mining eras, such as the Malakow Tower (1888), Shaft 2 with shaft hall (1928) and the double strut frame by Zollverein architect Fritz Schupp above central shaft 7 from 1955, characterize the location. The first new jobs were created here as early as 2002. Meanwhile, the "future location Ewald" stands for a modern and sustainable structural change. In addition to the settlement of various international companies and the hydrogen competence center, the Ewald colliery also combines leisure and culture in an exciting and entertaining way. The colliery is part of the Hoheward Landscape Park, the core of which is the neighboring largest dump landscape in Europe. The two curved steel arches of the spectacular "Horizon Observatory" form a landmark that can be seen from afar, as does the large horizontal sundial with obelisk based on an ancient model.de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeche_Ewald
August 1, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.