Bruno von Langenbogen, Bishop of Naumburg founded the nunnery Marienthal (also: Mergental) in 1291 near the town of Eckartsberga (today not far from the border with Thuringia). In 1525 the Cistercian women left the monastery. In 1535 it was only inhabited by a nun and officially closed in 1539. In the hands of several owners, the buildings fell into disrepair. The monastery was demolished by the Münchhausen family. Marienthal Castle was built in the immediate vicinity in 1730. (wikipedia)
November 7, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.