The names of the French Garden were probably the French gardeners Henri Péronnet (from 1670) and René Dahuron (1690-1701) in the service of the Celle Duke Georg Wilhelm. The latter was responsible for the first complete plant of a utility and pleasure garden in the courtly garden tradition of the early 17th century.
In the years 1695 and 1696, a double lime tree avenue was planted and gave the garden a dominant central axis in east-west direction until today (the lime tree avenue was completely renewed 1951-1953).
1705 Celle lost the function as a residence city. The garden was neglected and learned only in 1772 a new short flowering time under the court gardener Krantz. The occasion was the banishment of the Danish Queen Caroline Mathilde to Celle. An original pond square was converted into the still existing round pond. The French Garden also houses the monument to Caroline Mathilde, made by the eminent painter and sculptor Adam Friedrich Oeser. In 1784 it was erected at the suggestion of knighthood and country estates. An urn with the portrait of Caroline Mathilde standing on a pedestal, a female figure, allegory of innocence, crowns the vessel with laurel wreath and palm branches.
After that, there were already shortcomings in the entertainment of the park. Erected on its east side for the queen pleasure house with a thatched roof was demolished in 1801 again. It was only under the dedicated Hanoverian Court Marshall Malortie and according to the plans of garden inspector Schaumburg that the mid-19th century saw the gradual transformation into an English landscape park.
After the First World War, the existing children's playground was created in the east, a small rose garden in the west (which was overhauled in 1996) and in 1927 by the separation of the northern part of the garden the Landesinstitut für Bee Research, today LAVES - Institute for Bee Science.
In the meantime, the French Garden has been protected as a garden monument.
By minor measures in the context of the ongoing entertainment, the protected state of the landscape park of 1860 should be gradually restored.
August 19, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!