The Karchesweiher is an artificially created reservoir three kilometers southeast of the municipality of Bischofsgrün in the district of Bayreuth (Northern Bavaria), at the foot of the Ochsenkopf in the forest in the high valley of the White Main on the B 303 / E 48. It owes its origin to the mining of iron mica and processing of ore in a hammer mill. The lake is fed by the White Main.
In 1706, hammer master Johann Christoph Weller built the Weißmain blast furnace (Karches) with an associated apartment for the smelter. He processed the iron mica found in the vicinity. In 1716 the property passed to his son-in-law von Paschwitz, in 1720 to the hammer gentlemen von Roth, and in 1735 the furnace went down. On February 13, 1757, Roth sold the house and property to the servant Johann Karches on the Fröbershammer, at that time there was already a "protective pond" (to protect = dam). Later the house and reservoir passed to the state, which sold them again in 1841; In 1857 the state bought the house again, it served as a residence for a state forest ranger and was rebuilt in 1898. The Waldhaus Karches and the Karchesweiher have been privately owned again since 1970. From 1660 on, the Karchesweiher was used for timber rafting. It got its current size after the construction of the Fichtelgebirgsstraße which leads directly past it.
December 28, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.