The Audimax, better the old auditorium of the Georg-August-University Göttingen, is located in the Weender Landstr. 2 in Göttingen, right next to the Wall and in the neighborhood of Heinz-Ehrhardt-Platz. Built by Friedrich Doeltz in the Gothic Revival style of 1862-1865 and opened in 1866, the Auditorium (lecture hall building) was extended in 1901-1902 by an extension, making it the "Auditorium Maximum". In addition to departments of the Institute of Legal History, it houses since 1987 the art collection of the university. According to the homepage of the Art History Seminar, the collection comprises about 300 paintings, 2,500 drawings, 15,000 prints and about 100 sculptures. In addition, there are around 150 works by video artists from all over the world. Among the greatest treasures of the collection are works by Dürer, Botticelli, Rembrandt and Goya, as well as those of the modern age as by Nolde, Beckmann and Modersohn-Becker.
The opening time (according to homepage, as of June 2017) is Sunday 10:00 - 16:00 clock. Admission is: Adults 3 EUR; reduced 1,50 EUR; Families up to max. 5 persons 5 EUR; Members of the Förderverein, children up to 12 years, students and staff of the University of Göttingen have free admission.
The current exhibitions are:April 23, 2017 - September 17, 2017
The innocent eye. Oriental Paintings in Early Photography (1839-1911)02. April 2017 - 29. July 2018
Italian paintings in the Göttingen art collection
June 8, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!