At the height of the house at König-Konrad-Straße 34 on the road from Villmar to Runkel, a narrow path leads uphill on the edge of the old Kisselbruch. After a short ascent you reach the Peace Cross, which was first erected in 1946 by war returnees made of wood.
The cross is on the one hand a symbol of thanks for the return home from war and captivity, on the other hand it is also a memorial both for the horror, suffering and death that war brings with it and for what a great good peace for people is. In 1991, the wooden cross was re-erected by the Villmar born in 1930/31, who also included Reinhard Kasteleiner (long-time chairman of the Villmarer Beautification Association and assessor on the board of the Lahn-Marmor-Museum e.V.). Based on a design by the Villmar stone mason Walter Schmitt, an artistically interesting cross made of Lahn marble was created in the Engelbert Müller workshop, the trunk of which is made from the Bongard variety. The inlay work in the area of the body is made of different types of marble.
The stonemasons Willi Scheu and Alfons Stein contributed to the creation. The material for the trunk and the crossbar of the cross comes from the blocks that were used for the restoration of the columns of the high altar of the Mannheim Jesuit churches.
April 4, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.