1891 was for the safe crossing of the three coming from the then Mühlburger gate railway lines Rheinbahn (Mannheim over Graben - Eggenstein), the Maxaubahn (over the pontoon bridge from the Palatinate) and curved (to Ettlinger route) in the train of the Hirschstraße and after South propagating development of city master builder Hermann Schück built the deer bridge.With the construction of the alternative route of the Rheinbahn from Graben on Blankenloch to the eastern entrance of the old central station and the opening of the freight yard east of it in 1895, the need for the curved track was dropped, it was dismantled again.Since the relocation of the main station in 1913, the other two routes have also been canceled and the Hirschbücke only crosses the Mathystraße and the Jollystraße / Kurvenstraße. It was not until 1917 on the former route of the Maxaubahn the meterspurige local railway and from 1921 also the standard gauge tram on double track three railroad track. However, as the bridge had been planned and laid out together with the adjoining buildings and the deer road between Gartenstraße and Roonstraße, it was no longer easy to remove, although its original purpose had since disappeared.
During the Second World War, the bridge was slightly damaged and should be demolished in 1955 anyway. The civic association Südweststadt resisted successfully because the bridge represents a crossroads in two levels and it is architecturally significant throughout Europe. The ornaments and bulges for lamps are similar to those of the Pont Neuf bridge in Paris.(Https://ka.stadtwiki.net)
November 27, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!