The Sprinkenhof is next to the Chilehaus, an impressive Kontorbau the modern era and shapes alone with its mass of this quarter. It is the largest office building in Hamburg and UNESCO World Heritage Site (2015). Here, among other things, the first underground car park in Hamburg was built. The courtyard is used by gastronomy and is in good weather a popular place to pause.
On weekdays it is worth to visit the two stairwells on the Burchardstrasse. The Sprinkenhof is not a residential building, so the entrances are public access to the service providers and companies. You have to do it wisely.
July 19, 2017
The Sprinkenhof is a piece of Hamburg history. Built over 80 years ago as part of the Kontorhausviertel building ensemble, the Sprinkenhof was Hamburg's largest residential, commercial and warehouse house of its time. Since then he has been one of the architecturally outstanding buildings of the Hanseatic city.
The Sprinkenhof takes its name from Johann Sprink. He had acquired the property in 1384 from the cathedral chapter. On the area stood an old courtyard, which was demolished in favor of the new building.
The Sprinkenhof, a joint construction of the brothers Hans and Oskar Gerson with Fritz Höger, was temporarily the largest office building in Europe. It was built in three phases: first the central central building that bridges the Spring Valley, then the West Wing in 1929-1932, and finally the East Wing between 1939 and 1943. During the second phase, Hans Gerson died. Fritz Höger, who had joined the NSDAP in 1933, carried out the last phase of construction alone, because Oskar Gerson was no longer allowed to work as an architect in Germany since 1933 for racist reasons.
Like many other buildings in the Kontorhaus district, the Sprinkenhof is a work of the renowned architect Fritz Höger. Thus, the Kontorhausviertel is an impressive sign of the rich history of the port and Hanseatic city of Hamburg.
May 25, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!