Bike Touring Highlight
Schloss Mickeln is an estate in Düsseldorf's Himmelgeist district.
It stands on the site of the 1836 burned down house Mickeln, which dates back to the year 1210.
The then owner, Duke Ludwig von Arenberg, had the castle rebuilt as the summer residence by the architect Josef Niehaus. The engravings of villas by the architect Galeazzo Alessi from the 16th century served as a template.
The castle forms a 19.55 square-meter square in plan, with the same layout on all four sides except for the north-facing staircase. The path to the entrance portal is lined with lime trees, a concept that dates back to 1843, when the adjoining park was designed by garden architect Maximilian Friedrich Weyhe. Part of today's tree population comes from this time, such. B. plane trees, blood beech and two Lebanon cedars; The latter are among the Düsseldorf nature monuments.
Since June 2000, the castle has been used by the Heinrich Heine University of Düsseldorf as a conference center and guest house.
June 20, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!