The Michaelskirche towers majestically above the market square in Schwäbisch Hall with its famous staircase. It was consecrated on 10 February 1156 by the Bishop of Würzburg. From this time only the four lowest floors of the Romanesque west tower with the vestibule stand. From here, the Archangel Michael - a stone sculpture from the late 13th century - overlooks the market and the city as the guardian of justice.
Outstanding works of late Gothic art inside the church include the large Dutch Passion altar in the choir (around 1460), the larger than life crucifix by the Ulm sculptor Michel Erhart (signed and dated 1494) and the Holy Sepulcher with its impressive mourning figures (1455/56) , Noteworthy among other altars and paintings also the numerous personal features from 500 years. They document the piety, wealth and artistry of the leading families of the old salt-mining town.
From the market square, the large staircase leads to the romantic porch of the church in 53 steps, and another 160 steps lead you through the tower to the belfries and the former tower house with the magnificent view over the old town. The staircase was built between 1507 and 1510/1511.
February 21, 2016
The historic marketplace in Schwäbisch Hall is one of the most beautiful in southern Germany.
With its many different architectural styles, it is a gem in the heart of the city.The church of St. Michael in Romanesque-Gothic style, consecrated in 1156 and majestically enthroned on the top of the square, is a 70-meter-wide, 53-story, open-air staircase.Since 1925, every summer, from the beginning of June to the end of August, it has been transformed into the unmistakable stage of the Freilichtspiele Schwäbisch Hall.East of the church and the open staircase is the imposing Clausnitzerhaus, the largest half-timbered house on the market square. It was built in the 16th century from two stone houses, one of which was the residence of the mint master and various sergeants.The two strikingly colored buildings to the left of the town hall with their beautiful Renaissance portals belonged to a Franciscan monastery, which existed in Schwäbisch Hall from 1236 to 1524.At this corner a commemorative plaque in the shape of a star of David embedded in the ground commemorates the Reichsprogromnacht 1938.The late Baroque town hall on the western side was built after the city fire of 1728. Previously, the church of St. James stood here. Today it is the youngest building in the marketplace, because on April 16, 1945 it burned down to the surrounding walls by a bomb hit. The reconstruction was completed in 1955.The market fountain at the northern end of the marketplace was built in 1509 by church architect Konrad Schaller. In earlier times, fish were sold here in a fish box. Hence the name "fish well".
Characteristic feature are the three gargoyles. Shown are the saints Michael, George and Simon, who wrestle as a demon conqueror against lion, dragon and lindworm.The Gothic pillory from the years 1509-1511 is located on a kind of pulpit, leaning against the market fountain. In him lighter offenses were forfeited, where the delinquent with a warning sign "pilloried" and thus exposed to the shame and humiliation of the city dwellers.The Baroque-style building on the Marktbrunnen, which today houses the Tourist Information, used to house the drinking room of the Schwäbisch Hall city nobility in earlier times.
Opposite them in the buildings Am Markt 7 and 8 was the Bürgerertrinkstube.In today's Cafe am Markt, the magnificent rococo building next to the Tourist Information, was formerly a pharmacy. Clearly visible here runs a firewall, which protected all buildings upstream from the big city fire of 1728. These include today's Golden Eagle, Inn since the 17th century, and the historic buildings of today's Romantik Hotel Adelshof. Here Emperor Charles V stayed several times when he paid a visit to his imperial city Hall as the highest official.Today, the marketplace, in addition to its function as a venue for open-air plays and various other events, is also used for the Christmas market in Hall.
In addition, the weekly market takes place on Wednesdays and Saturdays, where farmers and traders from the region offer their goods.
February 21, 2016
Historical market place
The historic market square in Schwäbisch Hall is one of the most beautiful in southern Germany. With its many different architectural styles, it is a gem in the heart of the city.The 1156 consecrated church of St. Michael in the Romanesque-Gothic style and the 70-meter-wide 53-step staircase are majestically enthroned at the head of the market square. Since 1925, it has been transformed every summer from early June to late August into the unmistakable stage of the Schwäbisch Hall open-air theater.To the east of the church and the staircase is the imposing Clausnitzerhaus, the largest half-timbered house on the market square. It was built in the 16th century from two stone houses, one of which was the residence of the mint master and various master craftsmen. The two strikingly colored buildings to the left of the town hall, with their beautiful Renaissance portals, belonged to a Franciscan monastery that existed in Schwäbisch Hall from 1236 to 1524. At this corner, a memorial plaque in the shape of a star of David is embedded in the floor to commemorate the Reich pogrom night in 1938.
more: schwaebischhall.de/de/kultur-tourismus/sehens worth/historischer-marktplatz?type=98
July 24, 2020
St. Michael is one of the most important buildings in Schwäbisch Hall. Since October 2013, the church is the bearer of the European Heritage Label (within the framework of the network 20 sites of the Reformation in Germany). Today, it serves as a concert venue as well as for ecclesiastical purposes.
July 23, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.