History and description of the Krawutschke tower
According to the vernacular, a lookout tower was built on the remains of the former Berenstein Castle on the Burgberg in 1911. In 1934 it was replaced by a new tower, named after the Eifel hiker Franz Krawutschke, named Krawutschketurm and also used as a fire watchtower. It was badly damaged in World War II (1939–1945) and fell victim to a forest fire in 1945.
The symbolic laying of the foundation stone for a new lookout tower took place in 1956, but it was only built in 1972 with the same name. It stands a little east-southeast of the mountain peak at a height of 400.5 m and was inaugurated in 1973. With the substructure it is 13 m high. It has three platforms one above the other, each at a distance of 3 m. 76 steps lead to the top platform.
The tower's observation deck offers views of the Rureifel landscape. In good visibility conditions, the view also extends to Cologne Cathedral and the Hohe Acht, the highest mountain in the Eifel.Source Wikipedia
June 26, 2020
The 13 meter high Krawutschketurm stands on the summit of the approximately 400 meters above sea level located Burgberg.
It allows a great all-round visibility u.a. to the castle Nideggen, the Rurtal and the Rurstausee at Obermaubach.
From the trail parking lot at the church in Obermaubach it is within a few minutes walk.
April 10, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.