After the completion of the New Palace, Frederick the Great had the Belvedere on Klausberg built between 1770 and 1772. It was the first observation structure in Potsdam.
From Klausberg there are delightful views across Park Sanssouci to the hilly, lake-rich landscape and the city of Potsdam. The idea for the two-storey rotunda, which was provided with two balconies and crowned by a dome, came from a drawing from the volume "Del Palazzo de 'Cesari" published in 1738. In it, the archaeologist Francesco Bianchini had tried to reconstruct the Imperial Palace on the Palatine Hill in ancient Rome.
The building, which burned out during the last days of the war in 1945, was restored in the 1990s. In addition to the exterior, the interior was also largely repaired. The upper hall impresses again today with its stucco marble, the oak parquet and the reconstructed ceiling picture in the dome.
May 6, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.