In a borderline description of 1435 the rocks are called "Scheferstain", 1536 "Schäferstein" and 1716 "Schieferstein". Popularly they were called "Girglstein", derived from the nearby Girgelhöhle. On November 25, 1911, in the presence of members of the Fichtelgebirgsverein, the rocks off the footpath were renamed "Prinzenfelsen" at a ceremony to promote their fame. The Prince Ludwig rock is the larger and the Prince Leopold rock the smaller rock tower. This name was chosen to commemorate the 1905 and 1910 visits by the two Wittelsbachers in the Fichtelgebirge.
October 3, 2015
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!