From 1183 (first documented mention), the Mönnekehusen settlement was located between Rehburg and Winzlar on the Haarberg, the ancestral seat of the aristocratic family Münchhausen. The settlement is mentioned for the last time as "Villa Monickhusen" in 1335 and in 1519 fell into desolation. The reasons given for this are warlike destruction, flood disasters or the plague from various sources. Many residents have moved to the better protected, newly founded Rehburg. Today only the remains of the old quarry are left on the Haarberg, which was right next to the settlement. The family moved their headquarters to Brokeloh north of the Steinhuder Meer. Clamor von Münchhausen began there in 1545 with the construction of a moated castle, which he built in a difficult-to-reach place in the moor. Stones from the demolished church in Mönnekehusen were used as the foundation. The Brokeloh estate did not remain in the possession of the Münchhausen family for long. Due to long-standing legal disputes with the Loccum monastery, the estate had to be passed on to Colonel Otto Plato v. Helversen to be sold.
November 24, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!