After the medieval predecessor church fell victim to the flames in 1823, the rectangular hall church with a retracted choir and three-sided end was rebuilt in Romanesque forms from 1824–1826 according to plans by Clemens Wenzeslaus Coudray. The church tower, in which there is a chapel with a cross vault, was given a baroque dome in 1904. The painter Lyonel Feininger made the tower a motif.
Two-storey galleries are built into the nave. The gallery pulpit altar is on the east side. On the upper floor there is a column gallery on both sides of the pulpit with late Gothic carved figures of the twelve apostles.The following carvings of the church are exhibited in the Weimar Castle Museum: a Romanesque crucifix, a Gothic crucifixion figure and a Madonna figure. They are often also in the church at Bergern.The organ was created in 1823 by Johann Christian Adam Gerhard (1780-1837) with 1035 pipes and a carillon.
January 5, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!