The Pfarrdorf Großhaslach with the former church fortress of St. Mary lies on the old imperial road from Nuremberg to the west. Through a series of castles, this important road was secured, the church itself was surrounded since the 13th century by a defensive wall to protect the inhabitants from predatory hordes and soldiers. This defensive wall is still half existing today. Großhaslach is a station on the Central Franconian Way of St. James, which leads from Krakow via Prague to Nuremberg and continues via Roßtal, Heilsbronn, Großhaslach, Weihenzell and Häslabronn to Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
Absolutely worth seeing is next to the church of the Romanesque 1000-year baptismal font in the adjacent former Bahrhaus, which is now used as a baptistery. This is the oldest baptismal font in Franconia. The simple, massive form of sandstone is reminiscent of a chalice and refers to the altar sacrament, which is granted access to the baptism.
September 17, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.