The ruin Leonrod, also called Burg Lewenrode, is the ruin of a moated castle on a pond in Biberttal.
The moated castle was built in the 13th century as the headquarters and Ganerbenburg by the Lords of Leonrod, who emerged from the Lords of Buttendorf, to secure an important road link to Nuremberg and 1235 with a Rudolf "miles de Lewenrode" first mentioned.
Surrounded by a deep moat, this very large castle complex had four buildings around a rectangular 20-meter-high keep with a 9-meter high entrance, a floor area of 6 by 6 meters and a wall thickness of around 2 meters. In the outer bailey was the castle chapel, St. Georgskapelle from 1327, as well as the hunting lodge with hipped roof construction and half-timbered upper floor. The castle complex still shows the almost preserved keep and stately remains of the walls, vaults and the fountain in the courtyard and a fore tower. The castle site is today a Bodendenkmal.
February 27, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!