The Kiliansdom is the largest of 61 churches in Würzburg and the most famous church building in the city. Directly adjacent to the left side since 2003 is the Museum am Dom with a permanent exhibition of old and new art. In the right area behind the church building is the historic Burkardushaus, which was rebuilt from 2011-2015 to a conference center.
Every year, a commemorative is held to commemorate the bombing of the Allies on 16 March 1945, which almost completely destroyed the city of Würzburg. This is very impressive and emotional especially in front of Kiliansdom.
October 26, 2016
The Würzburg Cathedral is the center of the largest pilgrimage in the diocese every year, when thousands of believers flock to Würzburg to commemorate Kiliani, Kolonat and Totnan in the Kiliani pilgrimage week of the three Franconian apostles. For this purpose, the shrine with the heads of the saints of the Neumünster Church, where he is otherwise in the crypt over the year, is solemnly transferred to the cathedral. The history of the pilgrimage can be read here. A detailed description of the cathedral, its sights and its history can be found at dom-wuerzburg.de.
February 5, 2017
The Neumünster is built above the tomb of St. Kilian and his companions Kolonat and Totnan, who were murdered here as missionaries in 689. The original Romanesque basilica dates from the 11th century, the choir and the ornate tower from the 13th century.
The mighty dome and the elaborate Baroque façade were built between 1710 and 1716. The Baroque redesign of the interior lasted until 1788 and was executed by the Zimmermann brothers. An early stone work Tilman Riemenschneider, a beautiful sandstone Madonna, stands in a pillared niche of the dome space.
During the air raid on Würzburg on 16 March 1945, the structural substance was preserved. Most of the interior was burned, but there are still some outstanding individual works from the Middle Ages as well as the Baroque period.
Opening hours: Mo. - Sa. 6.00 - 18.30, Sunday 8.00 - 18.30
March 1, 2017
Bishop Megingaud of Würzburg (in office from 754 to February 769) probably erected a memorial building on the site of today's Neumünster, which kept alive the memory of the martyrdom of Kilian, Kolonat and Totnan. In this church, first Bishop Burkard (bishop from 741 to February 754 and died in February 755 in Homburg) was buried by Megingaud and later also Megingaud itself. However, on 26 September 783 Megingaud died in the monastery Neustadt am Main and the sandstone for his coffin undoubtedly comes from quarries around Neustadt. The coffin is today in the crypt of Neumünster. The inscription on his tombstone is the oldest monumental font of Franconia after the Roman era.
August 28, 2017
The construction began around 1040, the east towers were completed in 1237. The interior was stuccoed in 1701/04 by Pietro Magno in the richest Baroque.
In 1945, after the bombardment by the Allies, the cathedral burnt down completely. The inauguration after the reconstruction took place in 1967. The exterior of the cathedral was rebuilt in its old form, with baroque stucco decoration preserved in the transept and choir. The altar, the sacrament house and the choir stalls 1966/68 were equipped by A. Schilling.
1987/88 began the redesign of the choir. Among the impressive series of episcopal tombs are: Rudolf von Scherenberg († 1495) and Lorenz von Bibra († 1519) by Tilman Riemenschneider. The organ was built in 1968 and has 20 stops.
In 2006, as part of the renovation work, the cathedral received a new, light exterior finish, which is based on its original color scheme.
2011/12, the interior was completely renovated or redesigned.
July 2, 2019
Romanesque basilica of the 11th century, choir and tower from the 13th century. Mighty dome and elaborate façade 1710 - 1716. Erected above the tomb of St. Kilian and his companions, who were murdered here as missionaries in 689. You can also see a Madonna by Riemenschneider.
March 31, 2019
The St. Kilians Cathedral in Würzburg or Dom St. Kilian is a Roman Catholic church in Würzburg, which is dedicated to St. Kilian. The cathedral is the episcopal church of the diocese of Würzburg. With its double tower facade and a total length of 105 meters, it is the fourth largest Romanesque church building in Germany and a major work of German architecture at the time of the Salian emperors.
Originally, the cathedral had a Salvator patronal feast, from 855 to around 1000 it was dedicated to St. Kilian, from about 1000 to 1967 was the apostle Andreas Dompatron, since May 6, 1967, the cathedral bears the patronage of the martyrs Kilian, Kolonat and Totnan. The celebration of the cathedral is celebrated on the 24th of October.
July 31, 2019
The St. Kilians Cathedral in Würzburg is a Roman Catholic church in Würzburg, which is dedicated to St. Kilian. The cathedral is the episcopal church of the diocese of Würzburg. With its double tower facade and a total length of 105 meters, it is the fourth largest Romanesque church building in Germany and a major work of German architecture at the time of the Salian emperors.
February 25, 2017
The Würzburg Cathedral stands in the center of the old town. With a length of 105 m, it is one of the largest Romanesque sacred buildings in Germany.
Start of construction: 1040
Tower height: 62 m
Seats: approx. 1000
Cathedral bells: 20
Organ pipes of the main organ: 6652
October 8, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.