Falkenhaus

Hiking Highlight

Recommended by 79 out of 87 hikers

Tips

  • Eleion

    The "Haus zum Falken" in the heart of the city on Marktplatz 9 houses the central public library and tourist information with ticket service of the city of Würzburg.After the city of Würzburg acquired the magnificent building in 1939, it completely burnt down during the bombing raid on March 16, 1945, and was subsequently restored until 1952 - the rococo façade reproduced with photos is now considered one of the most beautiful in southern Germany.In the Middle Ages, the falcon house was the residence of the Dompfarrers, 1735 it was home to the innkeeper Franz Thomas Meißner and his wife. After his death in 1751, the widow had the façade decorated with magnificent rococo stucco decoration by wandering plasterers from Upper Bavaria.

    translated byView Original
    • December 7, 2016

  • Oliver

    At the place of today's falcon house was in the Middle Ages the residence of the Dompfarrers. In 1735 the house became the property of the innkeeper Franz Thomas Meißner. In 1751, Meissner's widow Barbara had the façade decorated with magnificent rococo stucco decoration by wandering plasterers from Upper Bavaria. The façade of the falcon house with the originally curved gables is one of the most beautiful rococo façades in southern Germany.

    In 1939, the city of Würzburg acquired the Falkenhaus. During the air raid on Würzburg on 16 March 1945, the Falkenhaus building burned down completely, parts of the facade collapsed. The reconstruction of old photographs lasted until the mid-50s. Since 1952, the Falkenhaus houses the Tourist Information with ticket service and the public library.

    translated byView Original
    • February 5, 2017

  • Andreas Seifert

    The Falkenhaus, also called "Haus zum Falken", is a building on the market square in the city center of Würzburg (Bavaria). It was built at the beginning of the 18th century, then bought in 1735 by the innkeeper Franz Thomas Meißner and used as an inn. Meissner's widow was in 1751 to build the dreigiebelige Rococo façade. Until the 19th century, the three-storey Falkenhaus housed Würzburg's only concert and dance hall.

    translated byView Original
    • August 28, 2017

  • Gerd

    Once an inn, received a lush stucco decoration in 1751; today tourist information and public library.

    translated byView Original
    • March 31, 2019

  • Gecko

    a beautiful city with many possibilities and highlites

    translated byView Original
    • October 5, 2017

  • Miaz

    Well worth seeing - and perfectly reasturiert. Because we liked it so much in the Würzburg old town lately, we were there again yesterday. I just drove by for over 30 years - and then we're in the old town twice within three weeks ... :)
    Of course, a photo of the Falkenhaus had to be taken as well.

    translated byView Original
    • August 13, 2019

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Falkenhaus

Location: Lower Franconia, Bavaria, Germany

Information

  • Elevation180 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Lower Franconia