Bike Touring Highlight
Alsum is mentioned in documents in 1139, but presumably people settled here much earlier. Until industrialization, the area lying on the Rhine was used for agriculture. Alsum receives a port in the former Emscher estuary in 1880, which is mainly used by the "Union of German Emperors". In 1926, the harbor was destroyed and abandoned during a flood in the Rhine. The Emscher had already been moved further north in 1910.After the Second World War begins the decline of Alsum - and literally: By mining on and under the Rhine Alsum continues to sag. In 1965, the last inhabitants left the place, in its place today the Alsumer Berg, the sewage treatment plant Alte Emscher and the steel works ThyssenKrupp.Source and more info:
December 1, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!