The Nederlandsche Portland Cementfabriek was one of the two cement factories in Vijlen near Vaals. During the Second World War, one of the quarry's tunnels was used as an air raid shelter and after the war there was a mushroom farm for a short time. After World War II, the limestone quarry was filled with waste and was given the name de Koel. Today the location of the factory is in ruins.
September 6, 2020
On the meadow are the remains of the Dutch cement factory in Portland.
Kalff, Van Rey and Scheins have been using a marl quarry in Vijlen since 1875, in which a shaft furnace stood for the production of cement clinkers. A small amount (approx. 950 tons / year) of natural cement was produced from this, but most were sold to a cement factory in Aachen. In 1894 the factory was expanded and N.V. Nederlandsche Portland-Cementfabriek (NPC). This went bankrupt in 1907 due to the high transportation costs of the product. In 1910 the company was taken over by Jan Habets and produced 40 tons per day (approx. 8 kilotons per year). The required clay came from Vaals. During the First World War, a maximum of 15 tons / year was produced. This factory was closed in 1921. However, in 1927 it was bought by the ENCI, founded in 1926. This company tried to restart with 50 employees, but ran into problems with United Cement Factories (VCF), a cartel of German and Belgian cement suppliers for the Dutch market. He took over the shares and eventually closed the company on June 16, 1929. Some remains have been preserved.
July 22, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.