The castle ruins are located in the Frankenwald Nature Park, at about 450 m above sea level. NN on a mountain spur projecting westwards in the Stadtsteinacher forest, about two kilometers north-northeast of the city Stadtsteinach. It stands directly above the solitude Mittelhammer in the valley of the lower Steinach.
Nearby are other former medieval castles, slightly higher on the same spur is a mound and an unknown castle stables. Immediately to the southwest, on the opposite side of the valley Steinach, is located on the so-called pulpit, a mountain spur projecting to the east, another castle stable. About 800 meters southwest is the ringwall Green Bürg or Green Castle, a presumably early medieval fortification. In the Steinachtal up, south of the village Wildenstein, is the stables Wildenstein on a projecting into the valley Felsriegel.
The former Nordeck Castle was built around 1100 by the Counts of Henneberg. Together with Steinach, today's Stadtsteinach, Bishop Eberhard II of Bamberg acquired the castle in 1151. In 1438 the castle was destroyed in the guerilla war of the Waldenfelser against the bishop of Bamberg (see also Waldenfelser feud). It was rebuilt in the middle of the 15th century. The robber baron Thomas von Absberg hid abducted prisoners there. Until the beginning of the 16th century, the castle was the seat of episcopal ministers. It was again destroyed and abandoned in 1525 in the Peasants' War.
May 17, 2015
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.