The Johanneum was founded in 1586 and is thus one of the oldest high schools in Germany. However, the representative building with its striking tower construction dates back to 1869. Until today, the building is used as a gymnasium.
The representative school building of the Johanneum was built in 1869-1871 as a secondary school, built by city architect Emil Trummler. The gilded angel, chased from copper, on the 56 m high tower comes from the former Webertor.zittau.de/en/node/700