The Glückstädter Stadtkirche in Glückstadt in Schleswig-Holstein is the oldest and at the same time most important preserved building in the city. It is located directly on the market square, which it dominates together with the Glückstadt town hall.
Work on the church began shortly after the planned city foundation by King Christian IV. It was built from 1618 to 1623 directly on the market square. In 1648 the tower collapsed due to the natural disaster in Holstein - only the baptismal font from 1641 survived the collapse - which was followed by extensive extensions by 1651. The south transept dates from this time; a corresponding transverse construction in the north was not carried out. The church has extensive, early baroque furnishings with a two-story high altar and a wide gallery.
On the outer wall of the tower, which is crowned with a copper dome, there is an anchor that was captured by a Hamburg warship in September 1630 in the Battle of the Elbe near Krautsand. The top of the 53-meter-high tower is decorated with a figure of the goddess of luck Fortuna, who is the city's landmark.
August 29, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!