The Kiel Opera House is a listed building in the state capital of Schleswig-Holstein and the venue of the Kiel Theater.
After an architectural competition announced in 1898, the Municipality of Kiel commissioned the Berlin architect Heinrich Seeling in 1902 with the construction of the Stadttheater, a theater for the theater and the music theater. The implementation of the brick building with rich structure of sandstone and lush modeled roof zone lasted from 1905 to 1907.
On October 1, 1907, the theater at the then Neumarkt was inaugurated with the prelude to Parsifal, the prologue of art a house and the performance of Fidelio.
During the Second World War, Allied air raids on December 13, 1943, May 22, 1944, and July 24, 1944 severely destroyed the city theater. As part of the destruction, the interior furnishings were lost in the Art Nouveau style. The reconstruction - while retaining the enclosing walls - took place from 1950 to 1953 under the direction of Heinrich Hansen and Guido Widmann. The roof shapes were simplified and the cubic stage house redesigned. Werner Kallmorgen was responsible for the interior design.
The reopening of the Stadttheater took place on 21 June 1953 on the occasion of the Kieler Woche, again with Fidelio. In the period after the destruction until the reopening, the Stadttheater resided in a theater on Holtenauer Straße 103.
In 1972, the reconstruction of the staircase overlooking the Klein Kiel began. In the same year, the foundation stone was laid for the construction of the company building on the corner of Rathausstraße / Fleethörn. The completely black glazed building designed by Werner Kallmorgen has no apparent relation to the architecture of the original ensemble. On 16 March 1993, the opera house was registered as a cultural monument of particular importance in the monument book.de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opernhaus_Kiel
May 7, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!